Saturday, September 20, 2014

Butterfly Nail Art

Hello Everyone! 

I hope you are having a fantastic weekend! I decided to try something I had seen on Pinterest a while back...A butterfly design.






Step by step instructions are down below.

Hope you enjoy!


Difficulty: Medium  
Tools you will need: 1. White nail polish-i used Petites in French White
                                     2. Black nail polish-I used Jordana in Black
                              3.Orange nail polish-I used Sinful Colors in Cloud 9
                              4.Clear top coat- I used NYC Long Wearing Extra Shiny Top Coat
                              5. Dotting tool and/or toothpick

Here we go!


1. Paint all of your nails white! Mine needed 2 coats. Allow it to dry completely.*Did you know if your nail polish is taking forever to dry, you can get a bowl of cold water & add a few ice cubes to it--dip your nails in and it will speed up the drying process!!*

 When it's dry move to step # 2!

2. Now leave your big toes white and paint the rest orange! 

3. While the orange toes are drying let's get started with the butterfly wings on your big toes. Begin by painting a sideways shaped V on your RIGHT big toe and a backwards-sideways V on your left big toe. Does that make any sense? Look at my pictures for reference.. You want them to mirror each other like butterfly wings when you put your big toes side by side. Now make them less V shaped and add some more orange little by little to make them look more like wings. Let them dry!!

4. Now it's time to outline the wings! Put a dollop of black nail polish on a paper plate or something you don't mind throwing away and grab your toothpick--dip it in the black nail polish and begin by dotting/slowly dragging around the outline of the orange wings. 

5. Detailing your wings.. Use your toothpick to draw a few squiggly/vein lines coming out from the inner side of your nail (inner wing) to make them look more realistic. I decided to add some white dots using my toothpick around the edges of my wings to make them pop. Now we are done with the wings!

6. I decided to add a small flower to my fourth toe using a small dotting tool dipped in white nail polish. Add 5 dots in a flower shape and allow to dry.

7. Now using your orange nail polish take your dotting tool and place 5 dots almost on top of but not covering the white dots you did for step #6 to make a 2-tone flower. *Optional* I then decided to add a small black rhinestone for the center of the flower. Now just put a clear coat on your nails and you are DONE! 


If you try this manicure or any of my other tutorials I would love to see it! 
You can upload it to my Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/inkandcupcakes
or tag me on instagram with hashtag #inkandcupcakes.
Thank You!!
xoxo
Sarah





*Disclaimer* I did NOT create this design. As mentioned above I saw this on Pinterest and wanted to recreate it and add a little something extra. Thank You.












No comments:

Post a Comment